Title: Biomedical Technologist- Ventilator Equipment Pool
Department: Ventilator Equipment Pool – Clinical
Position Number: 50016871
Hours of Work: Temporary, Full-Time Position; Day Shifts (Approximately 5 Months)
Pay Band: $33.65-$45.11 per hour
Union: OPSEU4106 Central
Location: VEP at 640 Cataraqui Woods Drive, Unit 6, Kingston
Under the direction of the PPL or delegate, the Biomedical Technologist will participate and contribute to the medical equipment management program of the department. The technologist will repair, maintain and conduct preventive maintenance on ventilators, bi-level positive airway pressure devices, oxygen saturation monitors and other electro medical equipment to ensure safe and proper function for users.
Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the KHSC strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Patient Care & Departmental Delivery
- Inspects, calibrates, services, cleans, repairs, and performs preventive maintenance on medical equipment in accordance with manufacturers’ guidelines and Ontario VEP policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Maintains accurate records of equipment including maintenance and service history, associated costs and duration of work.
- Routinely communicates equipment issues and supply needs to the Manager or delegate
- Provides technical assistance and instruction to users and team members regarding equipment operation and maintenance.
- Assists Manager/delegate in maintaining adequate inventory of equipment and supplies
- Modifies existing equipment for custom applications or updated function, fabrication of custom equipment.
- Develops procedures and protocols for testing and preventive maintenance on equipment as assigned.
- Conducts in-service and/or cross-training education sessions for users of equipment and other clinical or technical staff members as assigned.
- Assists with investigation of equipment related incidents
Financial & Resource Management
- Documents parts and accessories used in the course of repair or preventive maintenance on the work order to ensure appropriate lifecycle costing of equipment.
- Maintains accurate asset inventory of devices, both active and retired on the Ontario VEP BreathEasy database
Leadership & Continuous Improvement
- Provides technical assistance and instruction to users and team members regarding equipment operation and maintenance
- Assists and makes recommendations regarding efficacy of repair or contract requirements in consultation with Manager/delegate.
- Identifies opportunities and implements strategies to improve efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Participates in orientation and teaching of technical staff/students
- Performs other related duties as required
- Maintains confidentiality
Quality & Risk Management
- Sustains a quality assurance program by meeting or completing preventive maintenance and repairs within assigned timeframe.
- Maintains competency in practice through in-service, training courses and continuing education
- Maintains familiarity with emergency procedures and regulations and uses physical facilities supplies and safety equipment appropriately. Practices infection control procedures according to hospital/Ontario VEP policy.
- Provides reliable and timely communications of significant events and system changes to manager/delegate and VEP team members.
- Communicates and consults with Ontario VEP Manager/delegate, and other health care professionals.
- Ability to translate complex verbal and written information to users and management in laymen terms
- Completion of an accredited biomedical technology program preferred
- Electronics, electrical or instrumentation engineering or technologist diploma
- Canadian Biomedical Engineering Certification is an asset
- Experience in the repair and maintenance of ventilators and home respiratory equipment an asset.
- Minimum of 3 years previous experience as a biomedical technologist or equivalent experience in the repair/maintenance of medical equipment preferred.
- Evidence of strong organizational skills with the ability to work under pressure, prioritize workload, problem-solve, cope with interruptions and meet deadlines is essential.
- Experienced in the use of computers in a Windows environment such as spreadsheet applications and computerized databases.
- Evidence of strong organizational skills with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines is essential.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, courteously and tactfully with colleagues, and clients.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Evidence of self -motivation with strong ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check and vulnerable sector search required.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical demands of the position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.