Position Title: Community Health Pediatrician
Start Date: October 2023
Status: Full time
Reports to: Public Health Program Manager
Mission Statement: To improve the quality of life for the Haitian people, particularly women and children.
Brief Organizational Summary: Hope for Haiti is an innovative and creative international development organization that has been working in Haiti for 34 years. The organization partners with private donors to create community-based sustainable change through a grassroots and strategic holistic approach. Hope for Haiti is an action-oriented and fast-paced organization that believes in partnership solutions to poverty alleviation. Our vision for Haiti: joyful children, healthy families, thriving communities, and the resources to make it so. Hope for Haiti has a distinguished and well-established Board of Directors that provides the organization with strong governance, oversight, and strategic direction. Building upon the organization’s proven track record of success, Hope for Haiti stays true to its mission and founding principles while offering a dynamic and supportive work environment. For more information about Hope for Haiti, please visit www.hopeforhaiti.com.
Provide patient healthcare for the nutrition program implemented in our partner areas in southern Haiti.
Under the supervision of the Public Health Program Manager (PHPM), the Community Health Pediatrician will work closely with the Public Health Team. The Community Health Pediatrician is responsible for, but not limited to, providing healthcare services for our nutrition program (on site and at ISE ) and at mobile clinics in our partner communities, assisting in the planning and implementation of the nutrition program, and monitoring and evaluation. He/She will work closely with the Hope for Haiti team, medical partners, beneficiary schools, community health workers and community leadership to ensure Hope for Haiti’s public health programming is functioning efficiently and effectively. The Community Health Pediatrician will also work alongside the ISE Doctors at the Infirmary St. Etienne (ISE) and mobile clinics when needed.
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Participate in all aspects of healthcare at nutrition program, mobile clinics and the ISE where needed, including, but not limited to, taking vitals, prescribing medications, scheduling follow up appointments, and providing healthcare training on various public health topics
- Assist the PHPM with planning, budgeting and implementing the Nutrition Program
- Budgetwise, determine what should be provided by Hope for Haiti versus what each beneficiary should procure
- Plan mobile clinics with local stakeholders in HFH communities and others.
- Prepare daily, weekly and monthly reports to control the activities carried out by the nutrition team
- Participate in meetings with MSPP and other actors in the nutrition sector in the South department
- Maintain stock of nutritional supplements and other medicines, helping their acquisition and their proper distribution
- Work with the PHPM to determine the supplies and materials needed healthcare for the Nutrition Program
- Work with Operations and Public Health teams to procure the supplies/materials in a timely manner
- Evaluate healthcare for the Nutrition Program through Monitoring and Evaluation and reporting KPIs
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Medical License issued by MSPP
- Advanced skills in Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Tools and Internet
- Experience in public health
- Experience in nutrition programs
- Knowledge in project Monitoring and Evaluation
- Good written and reporting skills
- Ability to write and speak in French and Haitian Creole, English preferred
- Passion and enthusiasm for non-profit work
- Ability to work under pressure while maintaining a positive attitude and joyful demeanor
- Ability to work and establish good relationships with co-workers, partners, and non-partners
- Ability to walk distances of over 10 kilometers at varying elevations and to lift 30 pounds over shoulders.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS THAT ALIGN WITH CORE VALUES
- Ability to respond appropriately and sensitively to cultural differences as they arise among the organization’s service population
- Flexible, adaptable, patient and accepting of the fact that Hope for Haiti and its activities are constantly evolving in line with its resources and goals.
- Ability to adapt to and make level-headed decisions in stressful situations
- High energy and strong physical condition, including but not limited to the ability to hike distances over 5 kilometers and lift at least 30 lbs over the shoulders
- Ability to conduct and participate in staff meetings and strategic planning professionally and to represent Hope for Haiti’s mission to team members and colleagues
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize assigned tasks.
- Personal commitment to the mission and vision of Hope for Haiti and a desire to help the most vulnerable population
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality with sensitive information
- Ability to effectively work with a team
- Ability to resolve interpersonal conflict while preserving a team-oriented outlook
- A shared belief that there is always a pathway to improvement despite the challenges that lie ahead.
- Positive outlook and ability to work through difficult situations knowing that it’s possible to achieve desired outcomes.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- This is a full time position.
- Based in Les Cayes, no relocation support is provided.
- Salary commensurate with experience (DOE).
Thank you for your interest in Hope for Haiti!
To learn more about us please visit www.hopeforhaiti.com