About Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine
Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine (RUSVM), an Adtalem Global Education institution, prepares students to become veterinary leaders by drawing connections among animals, people and the planet, as a member of the One Health Initiative. RUSVM offers research programs focused on emerging infectious and zoonotic diseases, conservation medicine and ecosystem health. RUSVM has graduated more than 6,000 students and offers postgraduate master’s, PhD, and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) programs accredited by the St. Christopher & Nevis Accreditation Board and the American Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education. RUSVM is located on St. Kitts and includes the Ross University Veterinary Clinic, accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association.
Visit veterinary.rossu.edu for more information, and follow on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Opportunity at a Glance
The Safety & Security K9 Supervisor will be responsible for the supervision of the k9 unit and will report directly to the Director of the Safety & Security Department. The K9 Supervisor is responsible for managing the K9 unit but also ensuring that animal care duties are done. The position will be responsible for the performance management, the scheduling and all the administration of the K9 unit. As a representative of the Safety & Security Department, the K9 supervisor will be assisting in the oversight and management of the Department of Safety and Security, and ensuring the Campus Community, including any on-campus or off-campus areas where a RUSVM relationship exists, meets our standards of safety and security for students, colleagues, and outside vendors and/or visitors. This position is also responsible for supporting the Department leadership and ensuring policy and management decisions are carried out in a professional and efficient manner. Close coordination by the K9 supervisor and the on-duty security supervisor will be a critical function. This position will also perform those duties of K9 handlers as needed during scheduled shifts. This position will play an important role in Emergency situations and will be required to be an active participant in events that involve the Campus Community.
- The K9 Supervisor assist the Operations team with planning, coordination and activities related to canine services to students, employees, visitors, company assets, or others.
- When on duty, the K9 supervisor will direct and control members of the canine division, respond to calls according to established procedures, assist, and oversee administrative documentation, participate in the apprehension, and track laying work, and go on tracks with canine teams when needed.
- Supervise the patrol officers of the canine unit, organize the unit, and assign job responsibilities, provide advice and direction, evaluate, and oversee subordinates.
- Monitor ongoing training of current officers to ensure currency of all programs, policies, and procedures and asses each K9 officer and make training adjustments when needed.
- The K9 Supervisor maintain and inspect the K9 unit vehicle to ensure proper working order, cleanliness, and all animal care equipment be fully functional.
- Act as a liaison with other members of the Safety & Security department, and with other departments when needed. Ensure good working relationship with local authorities from the Federation of Saint Kitt and Nevis, and external public and private agencies.
- The K9 Supervisor maintains canine division staffing structure and assesses direct reports’ performance.
- Oversees distribution of canine unit equipment and ensures all required reports are adequately completed and processed in a timely fashion.
- Assists with developing and monitoring operational procedures and performance standards, which ensure safe, effective, and efficient daily operations.
- Develops a staff schedule to meet organizational needs.
- Identifies areas for performance improvement.
- Directly oversees K9 unit’s readiness capabilities and capacity.
- Conduct investigation to obtain information concerning accidents and other incidents.
- Accompany security officers on night patrols around the campus and the environs.
- Prepare daily incident reports.
- Prepare detailed reports concerning matters investigated.
- This position is a designated Campus Security Authority.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Complies with all policies and standards
- Secondary education including Pass in English Required
- 1+ year Supervisory in security, law enforcement, custom, military or equivalent
- 2+ years k9 handler experience
- K9 handler role & responsibility, knowledge
- Knowledge of Word Processing and Spreadsheet software.
- Valid Driving License; K9 Handler certified Required
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.