At Alstom, we understand transport networks and what moves people. From high-speed trains, metros, monorails, and trams, to turnkey systems, services, infrastructure, signalling and digital mobility, we offer our diverse customers the broadest portfolio in the industry. Every day, more than 80 000 colleagues lead the way to greener and smarter mobility worldwide, connecting cities as we reduce carbon and replace cars.
JOB TITLE & JOB CODE
Job Title Senior Finance Project Manager
Location Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Senior FPM leads finances for projects rated in High Criticality, in order to improve the project overall performance. He participates in overall Project Management process jointly with Project Manager. As a key member of the project, he provides financial analysis, advices and guidance to support the project team in making the best business decisions for the project. He is the main partner for the Financial Strategy success of the project, contributing in negotiation processes to secure project success. The FPM supports PM in risks and opportunities process and sign-off contingencies/committed savings. He is part of the Finance organization and covers the entire project lifecycle, i.e. acquisition, bidding and execution.
Organisation structure (job belongs to..)
Reports directly to:
Site Head of Finance or Head of Finance Tender Manager Site Controller
Other reporting to:
Network & Links
- Project Manager, Project Quality & Sub-System Manager, Chief Engineer, Chief Operations, Project Contract Manager, Project Planning Manager
- Finance expert functions: e.g. Tax and Customs, Treasury and Financing, Internal Audit & Risk Management
- Expert functions (e.g. legal, platforms, Operational Excellence, etc.)
- Customer (mainly Finance Organization)
- Partners (mainly Finance Organization)
- Participate in overall Project Management process jointly with Project Manager.
- Supervision, analysis and support for finance area in Dominican Republic Unit.
- Responsible for Tax and accounting compliance in Dominican Republic unit.
- Main partner for the Financial Strategy success of the project.
- Optimize financial aspects on the project Org. Tax, Hedging, Financing.
- Business Partnering:
- provide finance advise and tutoring to the project team.
- set up technical expertise within the real and current concerns of the business to create value.
- enrich integration within the organization (functional intermediation).
- ensure compliance of finance rules in project review preparation and throughout project execution.
- contribute on business agility and awareness.
- Control the financial performance of the project and propose action plans to improve contract margin and cash profile as well as corrective action plans to mitigate identified risks.
- Raised “Early Warnings” when necessary to increase management attention.
- Add insight and accuracy to project financial information (Improve accuracy on forecasts, revenue, cash, cost, etc.).
- Challenge and approve Project Financials (cash, competitiveness) as per DoA
- Provide confirmation of Internal Transfer Pricing policies to procurement for the issuance of internal purchase orders.
- Control the interflows of Internal purchased orders.
- Ensure compliance with local regulations, especially for tax and statutory accounts purposes.
- Liaise with other finance expert functions (e.g. Tax and Customs, Treasury and Financing, Internal Audit & Risk Management, Accounting and Finance efficiency, etc.).
- Cooperate with other expert functions (e.g. legal, platforms, Operational Excellence, etc.).
- Establish strategic network with external financial players involved in the project.
- Contribute in negotiation processes to secure project success (customer and / or partner).
- Support PM in risks and opportunities process and sign-off contingencies/committed savings.
- Partner with PM and CM in Contract & Claim Management (focus on finance topics & risks profile).
- For partnership (consortium or JV), ensure follow up of the financial aspects in compliance with the partner agreements and alert in case of any deviation or risk profile for Alstom.
- Know and understand businesses portfolio and the operation of every business function.
- Responsible for coaching Junior FPMs to develop necessary skills to manage projects Category D.
- Contribute effectively with the project initial set up.
- Liaise with the Finance Tender Manager to understand and implement the global financial strategy set for the project at tender stage (forex and firming strategy, tax guidance, cash profile, etc.), ensuring a smooth transition from Tender to Project.
- Communicate effectively with Project Stakeholders and provide reliable financial analysis to assist in the decision-making (Explain, justify and keep record in detail).
- Prepare jointly with the project team, the project reviews content and reassess each semester the profitability.
- Explain, justify and keep record in detail of the estimates.
- FPM is permanently focused on adding value through:
- Interpreting and implementing the global financial strategy set at tender stage.
- Participating and influencing negotiations (Price review, financial T&C, VO’s, Claims, etc.).
- Challenging financial information throughout project process (consistent “Early Warning” for financial impacts of projects operational performances and risk mitigation).
- Monitoring compliance with all governance and reporting rules & regulations in project.
- Corroborating the permanent compliance of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Understanding the forex and firming strategy considered at tender stage, and ensuring it is implemented at CPR0 and alert management in case of any deviation.
- Understanding the tax guidance provided at tender stage and ensuring it is implemented at CPR0 and alert the Tax & Customs Department in case of any deviations.
- Understanding the Project Organization (PxO) focused on Financial Flows.
- Understanding the contractual terms and conditions and advising about all financial matters in contract, focusing on guiding on competitiveness improvement.
- Supporting Claim Management (jointly with Project Manager & and Contract Manager), focus on finance topics, risks profile (support amendments wording).
- Managing and analyzing costs, revenue and profitability.
- Preparing timely forecasts for sales, costs, margin and cash.
- Permanently looking for liquidity flows and working capital optimization and promote cash culture in the project.
- Ensuring billing process (external or internal) is made on a timely manner.
- Ensuring, managing and monitoring foreign exchange exposures and Contract Price Adjustment (CPA) indexes evolution (help to define indexes to be used).
- Warning on any deviation that may affect the tax structure (Tax guidance) proposed at tender stage.
- Supporting the finance teams in the monthly closing process and reporting Project financials in a suitable manner.
- Supporting requests made of Performance Management Group.
- Reconciling project data and General Ledger on regular basis.
- Ensuring project contractual bonds and guarantees are issued on due time and request release “as soon as possible”, avoiding unnecessary expenses.
- Supervise local finance team
Measurement / Key Performance Indicators
(Evidence of good performance related to key tasks and responsibility mentioned above, use to measure success in the role)
- Achievement of financial targets of the project (i.e.: project margins compliance, project cash flow in line with targets, kip’s fulfillment, etc.).
- Compliance with local regulations tax, financial statements
- Compliance with ALSTOM rules & processes.
- Timely and accurate Project Review (CPR/RPR) & Monthly PR.
- Monthly reporting accurate and on time.
MAIN REQUIRED COMPETENCES
- Master’s in Business school, engineering school ,finance, Accounting or university equivalent
- MBA, Master’s in finance
- +10 years’ experience in Finance
- An auditing and/or project operational background would be an advantage
- Solid organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Team working
- Excellent knowledge in MS Excel, knowledge of SAP
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Fluent in other languages is a plus
- Previous experience in railway company in equivalent position
- Previous experience in industrial projects in equivalent position
Competencies & Skills
- Strategic Thinking and Self-Mastery
- Synthesis and analytical mind
- Demonstrated ability to partner well and influence others
- Entrepreneur and proactive
- Good relations and strong communication skills.
- Ability to work in a matrix environment
- Taste for new technology
You don’t need to be a train enthusiast to thrive with us. We guarantee that when you step onto one of our trains with your friends or family, you’ll be proud. If you’re up for the challenge, we’d love to hear from you!
Important to note
As a global business, we’re an equal-opportunity employer that celebrates diversity across the 63 countries we operate in. We’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace for everyone.