USAID Senior Operations Manager (SOM)
Location: Port au Prince, Haiti
USAID is increasingly being called upon to implement stabilization, development, and reconstruction programs in countries and regions identified as High Threat Posts (HTPs), as determined by the Department of State. In these areas, the need for a consistent and appropriate level of safety and security support for the Agency’s Implementing Partners (IP) is critical. To address this need, USAID Missions must establish a Partner Liaison Security Operation (PLSO).
The basic purpose of the PLSO is to function as a liaison to facilitate communications between the IPs operating in Haiti, in order to enable the IPs to better use and share publicly available security information so that the IPs are better informed about their own security. This will entail proactive engagement including meetings, site visits, and written communications. The initial steps in establishing this mechanism for IPs is to provide enhanced security support and a more uniform and rapid security information dissemination through a phased approach.
The Senior Operations Manager will serve as the Contractor’s senior officer and who will be responsible for the efficient and effective management of all aspects of the operations. The Senior Operations Manager should have significant level experience working on similar security experience requirements working as required by this Contract in Haiti.
- Stay informed on USAID/Haiti and Embassy safety and security policies, practices, and notifications, especially as they apply to or affects USAID’s IPs in Haiti
- Organize IP risk-management meetings including formulating agendas, soliciting topics of interest from IPs, and arranging guest speakers to be held on a quarterly basis
- Ensure that operational security decisions are correctly recorded and stored, with due regard to sensitivity and information security
- Coordinate and hold quarterly meetings with the USAID IP community.
- A Bachelor’s degree, ideally in public administration, business administration, international development or a related area.
- 8 years of experience in a relevant field (e.g., criminal science, police service, military or security operations, crisis management, international development).
- Of the eight (8) years, a minimum 4 years of experience working in developing countries with humanitarian relief operations and NGOs on security related tasks in high risk environments.
- Demonstrated experience in successful collaboration with senior (local and national) government officials, and development partners, and civil society organizations.
- Demonstrated capacity to network and communicate orally and in writing to stakeholders at multiple levels in a clear, concise, and well-organized manner on security related issues.
- Specialized expertise and demonstrated knowledge in managing on a day-to-day basis the security operations of a USG agency, bilateral or multilateral organization, international non-governmental organization or private company.
- Required oral and written fluency in French and English; fluency in Haitian Creole is preferred.